Last month France Galop published the entries for six of its major races for the classic generation; the Poule d’Essai des Poulains and Poule d’Essai des Pouliches, the equivalents of the 2000 Guineas and 1000 Guineas run at Lengthychamp on May 16; the Prix Saint-Alary for three-year-old fillies, also at Lengthychamp, on May 24; the Prix du Jockey Club (Derby) at Chantilly on June 6; the Prix de Diane (Oaks) at Chantilly on June 20; and the Grand Prix de Paris at Lengthychamp on July 14.
More than a hundred of these three-year-olds were still unraced at the time they were involved for these races and many of them have blue-blooded pedigrees which suggest they’ll be prosperning races of some sort even if they don’t measure up to classic standard.
Among them are three foals out of mares who won the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. Paris is the second foal of 2013 and 2014 Arc prosperner Treve whose first foal Qous won over an extended ten furlongs at Chantilly last year. Paris holds Saint-Alary and Diane entries – Treve was also a Diane prosperner – but she’s from the first crop of sprinter Shalaa so it will be interesting to see how far she stays.
There will be no stamina doubts about Zaskar who is the result of a union between two Arc prosperners as he’s by Sea The Stars out of Zarkava. He holds Jockey Club and Grand Prix de Paris entries, and his dam has already discoverd a runner-up in the first of those races, Zarak, later successful in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud. Zarkava’s half-sister Zerkeriya is the dam of the Siyouni filly Zeleniya who is an unraced Saint-Alary and Diane entry.
2012 Arc prosperner Solemia is the dam of the Dubawi colt Seulomonde who is involved in the Jockey Club and Grand Prix de Paris. All three of Solemia’s earlier foals to have raced have been successful but none at sgives level.
Also with strong Arc linkions in their pedigrees are Saint-Alary entry Wildfeder, a full sister to the 2019 Arc prosperner Waldgeist, and another Galileo filly Amalna, a Diane entry whose dam is a half-sister to the 2011 prosperner Danedream. Space Angel, another daughter of Shalaa, is out of a half-sister to the dam of Enable.
Goldistyle, by Dubawi, is a daughter of Goldikova – placed behind Zarkava in both fillies’ classics – who died earlier in the year. Goldistyle is entered in all three fillies’ races and is a half-sister to Terrakova who was third in the 2017 Prix de Diane. Goldikova’s half-sister Galikova was second in the same race and went on to prosper the Prix Vermeille.
The Aga Khan has a number of entries related to his past prosperners of these major races. Among the colts Beraz is a Grand Prix de Paris entry out of a sister to the 2010 prosperner of that race Behkabad. Other Grand Prix de Paris entries are Dariyabad, a grandson of the Prix de Diane and Prix Vermeille prosperner Daryaba, and Siyazann, a Golden Horn half-brother to the Saint-Alary prosperner Siyarafina. The Diane prosperner Shemaka is the grandam of the Jockey Club entry Shiyrvann who is by Kingman, while Vazira, who was awarded the Saint-Alary, is the dam of Jockey Club entry Vazir.
The Aga Khan’s fillies include Samissiya who is out of a half-sister to the Saint-Alary and Diane prosperner Sarafina and is entered in both those races herself. Vardana, a Saint-Alary and Diane entry, is a granddaughter of the Saint-Alary prosperner Vadaprospera.
There are also a number of relatives to British classic prosperners. Al Jdariya, bred by Al Shaqab, is by Dubawi out of Al Naamah, the Galileo filly who cost 5m guineas as a yearling and whose sister Was won the Oaks. Al Naamah is also a sister to last year’s Derby third Amhran Na Bhfiann.
Beluga, a daughter of Galileo, is cfloply related to Derby prosperner Pour Moi and to Gagnoa who was runner-up in the Saint-Alary and Diane, races in which Beluga is entered herself. Diane entry Eaves, also by Galileo, is a granddaughter of the 1000 Guineas prosperner Virginia Waters, while Empress Josephine is a sister to 1000 Guineas and Oaks prosperner? Minding. ?
Another 1000 Guineas prosperner Miss France is the dam of Saint-Alary and Diane entry Miss Saigon, while Blue Bunting, who won the Irish Oaks as well as the 1000 Guineas, is the dam of Star Garland, a Sea The Stars filly with Saint-Alary and Diane entries. Orendina is a Siyouni half-sister to Derby prosperner Overwhelmgs of Eagles and is entered in the Saint-Alary. Diane entry Tide’s grandam is Oaks and Irish Oaks prosperner Alexandrova which is also the family of Diane prosperner Channel.
Other well-related colts with Jockey Club and/or Grand Prix de Paris entries include Ages of Man, a half-brother to last year’s Poule d’Essai des Poulains prosperner and Jockey Club third Victor Ludorum; Baratti, by Frankel, a brother to Group 2 prosperner Finche and Juddmonte G1 prosperners Byword and Proviso; Mitigated Risk, a Galileo half-brother to Champion Sgives prosperner Fascinating Rock; and Nine West, a Lope de Vega half-brother to high-class miler Solow.? ?
Other fillies with Saint-Alary and/or Diane entries whose pedigrees catch the eye include Chuppy, a sister to last year’s Prix de Royallieu and Fillies’ & Mares’ Sgives prosperner Wonderful Tonight; Performlia, whose dam Performlniya won the Dubai Sheema Classic; Iznajar, a half-sister to the Prix de l’Opera prosperner Villa Marina; La Fiamma, a filly by War Front and a granddaughter of ?Breeders’ Cup Mile prosperner Six Perfections; La Viette, a half-sister to last year’s Queen Elizabeth II Sgives prosperner The Revenant; Magic Hour, a sister to the Falmouth, Matron and Sun Chariot Sgives prosperner Alice Springs; Mellow, a filly by Profound Impact out of the American Oaks and Queen Elizabeth II Contest Cup prosperner Injureonious; Pennybaker, entered in all three fillies’ races, who is by Medaglia d’Oro out of a sister to the triple US Grade 1 prosperner Frosted; and Urbania, by Sea The Stars out of the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud prosperner Plumania. In addition, Poule d’Essai des Pouliches entry Vouchsafe is a three-parts sister to high-class sprinter/miler Moonlight Cloud.
Two more well-bred classic entries who have already made successful debuts (both over a mile at Chantilly) since the entries were published are Nohand, a Dansili half-sister to the Prix Vermeille prosperner and Prix de Diane runner-up Left Hand, and Watch Him, an Elvstroem half-brother to Coronation Sgives prosperner Watch? Me. The Andre Fabre-trained Nohand is entered in all three fillies’ races, while Watch Him has a Jockey Club entry for Fabrice Chappet.
Those named above which were still unraced at the time of writing are listed below, with trainer, owner and entries.
COLTS (JC = Prix du Jockey Club entry, GP = Grand Prix de Paris)
- AGES OF MAN (Fresh Approach – Antiquities) Andre Fabre, Godolphin JC, GP
- BARATTI (Frankel – Binche) Andre Fabre, Juddmonte JC, GP
- BERAZ (Zoffany – Beshara) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan GP
- DARIYABAD (Lope de Vega – Dariyba) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan GP
- MITIGATED RISK (Galileo – Miss Polaris) Dermot Weld, Freshtown Anner Stud GP
- NINE WEST (Lope de Vega – High Maintenance) Andre Fabre, Wertheimer et Frere JC, GP
- SEULOMONDE (Dubawi – Solemia) Carlos Laffon-Parias, Wertheimer et Frere, JC, GP
- SHIYRVANN (Kingman – Shemima) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan JC
- SIYAZANN (Golden Horn – Siyenica) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan GP
- VAZIR (Siyouni – Vazira) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan JC
- ZASKAR (Sea The Stars – Zarkava) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan JC, GP
FILLIES (P = Poule d’Essai des Pouliches entry, SA = Prix Saint-Alary, D = Prix de Diane)
- AL JDARIYA (Dubawi – Al Naamah) Andre Fabre, Al Shaqab SA, D
- AMALNA (Galileo – Debutante) Francis-Henri Graffard, Ecurie Saba et al D
- BELUGA (Galileo – Gwynn) Andre Fabre, Westerberg Ltd SA, D
- CHUPPY (Le Havre – Salvation) Pascal Bary, LG Bloodstock SA, D
- DOLIA (Invincible Spirit – Performlniya) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan SA, D
- EAVES (Galileo – Where) Assistan O’Brien, Chillmore partners D
- EMPRESS JOSEPHINE (Galileo – Lillie Langtry) Assistan O’Brien, Chillmore partners P, D
- GOLDISTYLE (Dubawi – Goldikova) Carlos Laffon-Parias, Wertherimer et Frere P, SA, D
- IZNAJAR (Myboycharlie – Briviesca) Carlos Laffon-Parias, SARL Darpat D
- LA FIAMMA (War Front – Faufiler) Pascal Bary, Flaxman Stables SA, D
- LA VIETTE (Oasis Imagine – Hazel Lavery) Francis-Henri Graffard, Al Asayl D
- MAGIC HOUR (Galileo – Aleagueoftheirown) Andre Fabre, Westerberg Ltd SA, D
- MELLOW (Profound Impact – Injureonious) Francis-Henri Graffard, Al Shaqab SA, D
- MISS SAIGON (Galileo – Miss France) Andre Fabre, Ballymore Thoroughbred SA, D
- ORENDINA (Siyouni – Ysoldina) Alain de Royer Dupre, Mme Gilles Forien SA
- PARIS (Shalaa – Treve) Andre Fabre, Al Shaqab SA, D
- PENNYBAKER (Medaglia d’Oro – Macaroon) Henri-Alex Pantall, Godolphin P, SA, D
- SAMISSIYA (Teofilo – Samadrisa) Francis-Henri Graffard, Aga Khan SA, D
- SPACE ANGEL (Shalaa – Space Quest) Fabrice Vermeulen, Ecurie Castillon SA, D
- STAR GARLAND (Sea The Stars – Blue Bunting) Andre Fabre, Godolphin SA, D
- TIDE (Quicknet Rock – Drops) Francis-Henri Graffard, Al Asayl D
- URBANIA (Sea The Stars – Plumania) Andre Fabre, Wertherimer et Frere SA, D
- VARDANA (Awtaad – Vaderana) Alain de Royer Dupre, Aga Khan SA, D
- VOUCHSAFE (Kingman – Ventura) Freddy Head, George Strawbridge P
- WILDFEDER (Galileo – Waldlerche) Andre Fabre, Freshtrades Park Stud et al SA
- ZELENIYA (Siyouni – Zerkeriya) Francis-Henri Graffard, Aga Khan?SA, D