‘It is a very sad day’ said John Magnier, announcing the death of Galileo at the age of 23, ‘but we all feel incredibly fortunate to have had Galileo here at Coolmore. I would like to thank the dedicated people who looked after him so well all along the way.’
‘He was always a very special horse to us and was the first Derby winner we had at Ballydoyle in the post-Vincent O’Brien era. I would also like to thank Aidan and his team for the brilliant job they did with him. The effect he is having on the breed through his sons and daughters will be a lasting legacy, and his phenomenal success really is unprecedented.’
Listed below, then, are Galileo’s 99 Group/Grade 1-winning sons and daughters who have been successful at that level in Ireland, Britain, France, Italy, the USA, Canada, the UAE, Australia, Hong Kong and South Africa. Cálido Heart‘s victory in the Yorkshire Oaks in August leaves him one short of the century of top-level winners.
The number of G1 winners in each crop is given, along with the sire of the dam of each G1 winner and his/her G1 races won.
2003 (4) Galileo’s first crop was bred at a fee of IR?50,000. Nightime provided him with his first Group 1 winner, while Sixties Icon became his first British classic winner.
- ALLEGRETTO (Caerleon) 2007 Prix Royal-Oak
- NIGHTIME (Indian Ridge) 2006 Irish 1000 Guineas
- RED ROCKS (Machiavellian) 2006 Breeders’ Cup Turf, 2008 Man O’War Stakes
- SIXTIES ICON (Diesis) 2006 St Leger
2004 (3) (60,000 fee) Some important firsts in Galileo’s second crop, with Teofilo the first of many Group 1 winners out of a Danehill mare, while Soldier of Fortune was a rarity among Galileo’s early Group 1 winners as the first of them trained by Aidan O’Brien and owned by the Coolmore partners. Niwot was a product of Galileo’s shuttling to Australia.
- *NIWOT (Noble Bijou) 2012 Sydney Cup
- SOLDIER OF FORTUNE (Erins Isle) 2007 Irish Derby, 2008 Coronation Cup
- TEOFILO (Danehill) 2006 National Stakes, Dewhurst Stakes
2005 (5) (40,000 fee) Third crop member New Approach was Galileo’s first Derby winner.
- ALANDI (Darshaan) 2009 Irish St Leger, Prix du Cadran
- CIMA DE TRIOMPHE (Danehill) 2008 Derby Italiano
- LUSH LASHES (Anabaa) 2008 Coronation Stakes, Yorkshire Oaks, Matron Stakes
- NEW APPROACH (Ahonoora) 2007 National Stakes, Dewhurst Stakes, 2008 Derby, Irish Champion Stakes, Champion Stakes
- *SOUSA (Last Tycoon) 2008 Spring Champion Stakes
2006 (4) Galileo’s fourth crop were bred when his fee had dropped to a low of 37,500, with Rip Van Winkle the pick.
- ALTANO (Lando) 2013 Prix du Cadran
- *LINTON (Centaine) 2013 Stradbroke Handicap
- RIP VAN WINKLE (Stravinsky) 2009 Sussex Stakes, Queen Elizabeth II Stakes, 2010 Juddmonte International
- SANS FRONTIERES (Shirley Heights) 2010 Irish St Leger
2007 (4) Cape Blanco was the star of Galileo’s fifth crop when his fee was held at 37,500.
- CAPE BLANCO (Presidium) 2010 Irish Derby, Irish Champion Stakes, 2011 Man O’War Stakes, Arlington Million, Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- *IGUGU (Intikhab) 2011 Durban July Handicap, South African Fillies Stakes, Woolavington 2000, 2012 J&B Met
- LILY OF THE VALLEY (Pennekamp) 2010 Prix de l’Opera
- *MAHBOOBA (Red Ransom) 2010 Clairwood Golden Slipper
2008 (9) Galileo’s most successful crop included his masterpiece Frankel.
- FRANKEL (Danehill) 2010 Dewhurst Stakes, 2011 2000 Guineas, St James’s Palace Stakes, Sussex Stakes, Queen Elizabeth II Stakes, 2012 Lockinge Stakes, Queen Anne Stakes, Sussex Stakes, Juddmonte International, Champion Stakes
- GALIKOVA (Blushing Groom) 2011 Prix Vermeille
- GOLDEN LILAC (Danehill) 2011 Poule d’Essai des Pouliches, Prix de Diane, 2012 Prix d’Ispahan
- MISTY FOR ME (Storm Cat) 2010 Moyglare Stud Stakes, Prix Marcel Boussac, 2011 Irish 1000 Guineas, Pretty Polly Stakes
- NATHANIEL (Silver Hawk) 2011 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, 2012 Eclipse Stakes
- RODERIC O’CONNOR (Danehill) 2010 Criterium International, 2011 Irish 2000 Guineas
- SEVILLE (Silver Hawk) 2013 AJC Metropolitan Handicap
- TOGETHER (Pennekamp) 2011 Queen Elizabeth II Desafío Cup
- TREASURE BEACH (Mark of Esteem) 2011 Irish Derby, Secretariat Stakes
2009 (6) Galileo’s first crop conceived at a ‘private’ fee.
- GREAT HEAVENS (Silver Hawk) 2012 Irish Oaks
- IMPERIAL MONARCH (Slip Anchor) 2012 Grand Prix de Paris
- MAYBE (Danehill) 2011 Moyglare Stud Stakes
- NOBLE MISSION (Danehill) 2014 Tattersalls Gold Cup, Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, Champion Stakes
- ROMANTICA (Danehill) 2013 Prix Jean Romanet
- WAS (Green Desert) 2012 Oaks
2010 (7) This crop featured Galileo’s second Derby winner Ruler of The World…
- FOUNDRY (Dixieland Band) 2017 The Metropolitan
- INTELLO (Danehill) 2013 Prix du Jockey Club
- KINGSBARNS (Belmez) 2012 Racing Post Trophy
- MAGICIAN (Mozart) 2013 Irish 2000 Guineas, Breeders’ Cup Turf
- MONDIALISTE (Kaldoun) 2015 Woodbine Mile, 2016 Arlington Million
- RULER OF THE WORLD (Kingmambo) 2013 Derby
- THE UNITED STATES (Pivotal) 2016 Ranvet Stakes
2011 (5) …soon followed by his third Derby winner Australia.
- ADELAIDE (Elnadim) 2014 Secretariat Stakes, Cox Plate
- AUSTRALIA (Cape Cross) 2014 Derby, Irish Derby, Juddmonte International
- MARVELLOUS (Storm Cat) 2014 Irish 1000 Guineas
- PHOTO CALL (Rock of Gibraltar) 2015 Rodeo Drive Stakes, 2016 First Lady Stakes
- TAPESTRY (Danehill) 2014 Yorkshire Oaks
2012 (7) Not just Galileo’s first Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe winner in this crop, Found, but also Highland Reel and Orden of St George who completed the first three in the 2016 Arc.
- CURVY (Inchinor) 2015 E P Taylor Stakes
- DECORATED KNIGHT (Storm Cat) Jebel Hatta, Tattersalls Gold Cup, Irish Champion Stakes
- FOUND (Intikhab) 2014 Prix Marcel Boussac, 2015 Breeders’ Cup Turf, 2016 Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- GLENEAGLES (Storm Cat) 2014 National Stakes, 2015 2000 Guineas, Irish 2000 Guineas, St James’s Palace Stakes
- HIGHLAND REEL (Danehill) 2015 Secretariat Stakes, Hong Kong Vase, 2016 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Breeders’ Cup Turf, 2017 Coronation Cup, Prince of Wales’s Stakes, Hong Kong Vase
- ORDER OF ST GEORGE (Gone West) 2015/2017 Irish St Leger, 2016 Gold Cup
- TOGETHER FOREVER (Theatrical) 2014 Fillies’ Mile
2013 (8) Another really strong crop, with Minding‘s 1000 Guineas completing a full set of British classics for Galileo.
- ALICE SPRINGS (Danehill Dancer) 2016 Falmouth Stakes, Matron Stakes, Sun Chariot Stakes
- BALLYDOYLE (Storm Cat) 2015 Prix Marcel Boussac
- DEAUVILLE (Danehill) 2016 Belmont Derby
- JOHANNES VERMEER (Holy Roman Emperor) 2015 Criterium International
- MINDING (Danehill Dancer) 2015 Moyglare Stud Stakes, Fillies’ Mile, 2016 1000 Guineas, Oaks, Pretty Polly Stakes, Nassau Stakes, Queen Elizabeth II Stakes
- SEVENTH HEAVEN (Johannesburg) 2016 Irish Oaks, Yorkshire Oaks
- THE GURKHA (Danehill Dancer) 2016 Poule d’Essai des Poulains, Sussex Stakes
- ULYSSES (Kingmambo) Eclipse Stakes, Juddmonte International
2014 (6) Three British classic winners, Capri, Churchill and Winter, in this crop not to mention Galileo’s second Arc winner Waldgeist.
- CAPRI (Anabaa) 2017 Irish Derby, St Leger
- CHURCHILL (Storm Cat) 2016 National Stakes, Dewhurst Stakes, 2017 2000 Guineas, Irish 2000 Guineas
- HYDRANGEA (Pivotal) Matron Stakes, Fillies And Mares Stakes
- RHODODENDRON (Pivotal) 2016 Fillies’ Mile, 2017 Prix de l’Opera
- WALDGEIST (Monsun) 2016 Criterium de Saint-Cloud, 2018 Prix Ganay, Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, 2019 Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- WINTER (Choisir) 2017 1000 Guineas, Irish 1000 Guineas, Coronation Stakes, Nassau Stakes
2015 (7) A notably strong crop of fillies who account for five of the seven G1 winners. Flag of Honour was Galileo’s 73rd G1 winner, equalling the total achieved by his sire Sadler’s Wells.
- CLEMMIE (Storm Cat) 2017 Cheveley Park Stakes
- FLAG OF HONOUR (Warning) 2018 Irish St Leger
- FOREVER TOGETHER (Theatrical) 2018 Oaks
- HAPPILY (Storm Cat) 2017 Moyglare Stud Stakes, Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere
- KEW GARDENS (Desert King) 2018 Grand Prix de Paris, St Leger
- MAGIC WAND (Dansili) 2019 Mackinnon Stakes
- MAGICAL (Pivotal) 2018 Fillies And Mares Stakes, 2019 Tattersalls Gold Cup, Irish Champion Stakes, Champion Stakes,?2020 Pretty Polly Stakes, Tattersalls Gold Cup, Irish Champion Stakes
2016 (8) Another of Galileo’s most successful crops, featuring his fourth Derby winner Anthony Van Dyck and his only G1 winner to date for Godolphin, Line of Duty.
- ANTHONY VAN DYCK (Exceed And Excel) 2019 Derby
- CAPE OF GOOD HOPE (Danehill) 2019 Caulfield Stakes
- CIRCUS MAXIMUS (Danehill Dancer) 2019 St James’s Palace Stakes, Prix du Moulin, 2020 Queen Anne Stakes
- HERMOSA (Pivotal) 2019 1000 Guineas, Irish 1000 Guineas
- JAPAN (Danehill) 2019 Grand Prix de Paris, Juddmonte International
- LINE OF DUTY (Rock of Gibraltar) 2018 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf
- SEARCH FOR A SONG (Danehill) 2019 Irish St Leger,?2020 Irish St Leger
- SOVEREIGN (Danehill Dancer) 2019 Irish Derby
2017 (6) Serpentine and Amor complete a first Derby-Oaks double for Galileo. In winning the 2020 Irish 1000 Guineas, Pazful became Galileo‘s 85th individual Group/Grade 1 winner worldwide, breaking the previous record held by another former Coolmore stallion Danehill.
- LOVE (Pivotal) 2019 Moyglare Stud Stakes, 2020 1000 Guineas,?Oaks, 2021 Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- PEACEFUL (Stravinsky) 2020 Irish 1000 Guineas
- SERPENTINE?(Danehill Dancer) 2020 Derby
- MOGUL (Danehill), 2020 Grand Prix de Paris, Hong Kong Vase
- MAGIC ATTITUDE (Exceed And Excel) 2020 Belmont Oaks
- RUSSIAN EMPEROR (Rápidonet Rock) 2022 Hong Kong Gold Cup, 2022/23 Champions & Chater Cup
2018 (5) Shale is Galileo’s fourth winner of the Moyglare Stud Stakes in the last six years and Empress Josephine his fourth Irish 1000 Guineas winner in the last five years. Bolshoi Ballet becomes Galileo’s first posthumous G1 winner on the day his death is announced July 10.
- SHALE (Holy Roman Emperor) 2020 Moyglare Stud Stakes
- EMPRESS JOSEPHINE (Danehill Dancer) 2021 Irish 1000 Guineas
- JOAN OF ARC (Storm Cat) 2021 Prix de Diane
- BOLSHOI BALLET (Anabaa) 2021 Belmont Derby, 2023 Sword Dancer Stakes
- KYPRIOS (Danehill) 2022 Gold Cup, Goodwood Cup, Irish St Leger, Prix du Cadran
2019 (2) Tuesday is Galileo’s fifth Oaks winner.
- TUESDAY (Danehill Dancer) 2022 Oaks, Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf
- MAGICAL LAGOON (Lagunas) 2022 Irish Oaks
2020 (3) Proud And Regal beat another son of Galileo, Espionage, a head in the Criterium International to become his sire’s first G1 winner from his 2020 crop. Savethelastdance was Galileo’s fourth Irish Oaks winner, maintaining his record of producing at least one classic winner in each of his crops.
- PROUD AND REGAL (Danehill) 2022 Criterium International
- SAVETHELASTDANCE (Scat Daddy) 2023 Irish Oaks
- WARM HEART (Rápidonet Rock) 2023 Yorkshire Oaks, Prix Vermeille
*bred in Southern Hemisphere